Sometimes, you can just tell when part of your house needs work. Like when you find a section of wind-blown shingles hanging from a tree. Not good. Other times, you’re not 100% sure what’s going on. Both can be the case with flooring. Is it time to replace yours? If you can check off any of these boxes, then the answer is “Yes.”
1. You No Longer Love the Look
You used to be head over heels for that rich, cherry look. Now, you can’t stand it. It’s OK, you two had a good run, but it’s time to move on. HomeTalk blogger Viktor from did just that. Tired of staring at scuffs and scratches, , complete with Eco Cork Foam Underlayment. Here’s why DIYers like him choose our underlayment:
- Install-Ready – It’s equipped with a built-in vapor barrier and self-sealing tape. Plus, Eco Cork Foam cuts easily but resists tearing.
- Thickness – At ⅛” thick, it’s cushiony, making it easy on your knees during install. It also smooths out any subfloor imperfections.
- Absorbs Sound – Eco Cork Foam makes for a quiet floor. Go ahead, let your eight-year-old play dress-up and clomp around in heels.
2. You Just Bought a Fixer-Upper
You signed the papers, but it’s not real until you turn the key — and it opens. This is your house now. The shedding ceiling, cracked paint, what can only be described as grandma’s light fixtures and that old, dingy carpet. It’s all yours to fix. You’ve got this! HomeTalk blogger and fixer-upper is here to help. Some tips:
- Start with the Ceiling – Scrape the ceiling off first, letting all those bits fall onto the old carpet. Then rip out that yucky carpet. This’ll make cleanup much easier.
- Shop Around for Flooring – Fresh carpet, laminate, vinyl, tile or hardwood? It’s a big decision. Take time to think it through. You’ll be glad you did.
- Don’t Forget Underlayment – Before you lay down new flooring, install a waterproof underlayment like , which is made for vinyl plank, laminate and wood. It’ll keep moisture out, plus it’s infused with Ultra-Fresh® antimicrobial technology. That’s fancy for, “Bye-bye, funky smells.” Doing carpet? Check out our waterproof carpet underlayment .
3. Your Carpet Is Worn and Disgusting
Maybe it’s just old, or maybe it’s your dog’s zoomies. At 4pm every day, like clockwork. Either way, your carpet is looking rough. Tears, worn patches, matting and fraying are all signs that you need new flooring. Why not scrap carpeting altogether and try something that’s easier to maintain? Our top recommendations:
- Engineered Hardwood – Looks just like real wood but is more affordable, resistant to moisture and easier to install. Before you start laying down planks, put down a quality underlayment like ECF first. It will save you from wear and tear by absorbing the impact of foot (and paw) traffic. Take that, zoomies!
- Laminate – Just like vinyl, laminate can resemble pricier materials like wood and stone. It also calls for underlayment. ECF is your number one, with an all-in-one vapor barrier to keep moisture out. Especially needed if you have concrete subfloors since they’re porous.
Eco Cork Foam Underlayment is manufactured in North Carolina by Palziv, North America. Palziv brings together world-class science and engineering to deliver innovative products, materials and services for the construction, building, automotive, recreational, medical and packaging industries. Every day, we strive to grow our community, working with others to seek sustainable, innovative, market-driven solutions that promote better, safer, and healthier lifestyles and protect the environment for generations to come.